Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

Well it's Tuesday...only two days until Halloween, can you freaking believe it?  Working in retail kills the holidays because we already have so many Christmas trees out right now that Halloween has fallen to the wayside.

This makes me a very sad panda.

See, told you so.

I honestly didn't know what to review today until I remembered that there was a Friday the 13th marathon going on, on AMC and I had got to watch a little bit of it on my break at work. Then I realized that I have yet to do a review on one of the movies so today I am remedying that. However I am not starting with part one, oh no, I am starting with the movie that started my love affair for not only Jason Voorheese, but for horror movies in general; and that is Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan.

Great trailer right? They just don't make them like they use to.

Released in 1989 and directed by Rob Hedden this movie stars Kane Hodder as Jason (really the only Jason that matters)

"The graduating class of the local high school is going on a luxury cruise with Jason Voorhees as a stowaway. The heroine Rennie Wickham believes she was almost drowned by Jason as a child. Jason eventually sinks the boat and kills many of the students on it, but many of them escape to Manhattan. A long battle with Jason ensues until Jason is washed away in the New York sewers by a midnight flooding of toxic waste." Written by Jason Ihle, taken from IMDB

I remember seeing this movie when I was younger, around 10 I'd say. It was on TV during Halloween and it was the first Friday movie that I had seen. I clearly remember the ending of the movie with Jason in the sewer and became fascinated with the series and wanted to learn more about the movies and his character.

Neat little factoid is that during the diner scene, the guy that Jason throws into the mirror is actually Ken Kirzinger who ended up playing Jason in Freddy Vs. Jason. And according to an interview in Fangoria Magazine (August 1989), Hodder actually threw up on cue by drinking lots of water. Gross.

Unfortunately because this movie performed poorly in the box office, Paramount sold the franchise to New Line Cinema, until the remake. Only two movies were made in between (Jason X and Freddy Vs Jason).

IMDB rates this a 4.2 out of 10 stars, Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 10% with a 42% audience approval rating. I am giving this two skulls and a hand full of teeth for a 2.5 out of 5. There are some great kills and just a touch of humor but it lacks a sensible plot. (Which after it being the 8th movie in the franchise, go figure!)

Two more days you guys! Two more days! If you have any suggestions on what I should write on during November please let me know in a comment!

Until tomorrow,
Sleep tight and don't let the zombies bite,

-JD

No comments:

Post a Comment