Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Bride of Frankenstein

Happy October everyone!
My name is Jordy Death and throughout the month of October I will watch and review one horror movie every day! 
This is more for me because I love horror movies and Halloween, but if you find my reviews witty and it leads you to watch some cool horror movies, than all the better. 
Now the movies I will be watching are in no particular order. They will range from the classic to the campy to the down right gruesome! Most of them will be from Netflix or from my personal stock which will hopefully make it easier for those out there to watch them.
I apologize in advance for the length of this post. I originally started on WordPress but found it way too difficult to use. Plus I could not post any of the neat movie trailers that I found. So this post will be an introduction as well as a movie review!
So in case you were wondering what today's movie review was on...
Image
Bazinga, there it is. 
While I was roaming through the bowels of Netflix, I was trying to find the classic monster movie Frankenstein,  since I am also currently reading the book by Mary Shelley. Sadly Netflix has every classic monster movie BUT Frankenstein.  Dracula, Wolf Man, The Mummy, Bride of Frankenstein,  but no freaking Frankenstein. Okay, they may not have The Creature from the Black Lagoon, but I was not really looking for it. 
But I digress, 

Oh looky, there is the trailer for this 1935 gem!
The Bride of Frankenstein basically picks up right after the events of the movie Frankenstein, however we see Mary Shelley and her friends around a fire and she says that the story of Frankenstein and his monster continues and that they both have survived the fall and fire at the windmill. I won't give you a play by play of the synopsis, but as the title says, the monster gets a mate and it's pretty darn cool. 
After a while you start to feel sympathy for the monster because he is just misunderstood and is totally rejected from society. Anyone who went through high school can relate. 
James Whales directed this movie and it stars Boris Karloff as The Monster and Elsa Lanchester as Mary Shelley and The Monster's Bride aka ? as seen on the credits. How cute that back in the day they didn't want the audience to know who was going to be playing the Monster's Bride.
The movie is in black and white and had a budget of $397,000 (estimated and according to IMDB). Which I got to say, the special effects are really amazing, given where we are today. [Okay let me be honest, I am STILL trying to figure out how they did the little people in the glass jars back in 1935]
Could you imagine losing 20 lbs because you sweated it out through your heavy costume? Well that's what happened to Karloff. What a great way to lose some weight!
I must say that the highlight of the movie is when the Bride is finally revealed, but unfortunately she is only on screen for less than five minutes then its bing, bang, boom, you're dead, he's dead, end credits. Because a cast that good deserves a second viewing of the credits. 
According to IMDB, The Bride of Frankenstein is the most obscure of the Universal Classic Monsters and the only one not to have killed anyone.  
Now Rotten Tomatoes gives The Bride of Frakenstein, 100% with an 83% audience rating  IMDB  gives a 7.9 out of 10 stars. Myself, I give this movie 4 out of 5 Skulls. It is truly a great classic film, but it could have used more of the Bride. 
Well if you have made it this far, thank you. I hope you have enjoyed this first entry.
Until tomorrow!
Sleep tight, and don't let the zombies bite!
- JD 

No comments:

Post a Comment