Thursday, October 3, 2013

Session 9

We meet again gentle readers.

Can you believe that it is already Thursday? My goodness where did this week go! To celebrate my third blog in this series, I am going on a recommendation by some of my friends on Facebook and have decided to watch the movie Session 9. Now I am flying totally blind here having never even heard of this movie before. So I will do us both a favor and leave the trailer right....here:

Doesn't this seem like a pretty interesting movie? I don't know about you folks, but I for one love pretty much any movie/show/documentary that deals with a state mental hospital. I think that this stems from the fact that my mother is a psychotherapist and I have always had a deep fascination with abnormal psychology.


Released in 2001 and directed by and written by Brad Anderson, this movie stars two familiar faces that you will recognize from TV  David Caruso (CSI: Miami) and Paul Guilfoyle (CSI).

The basic plot of this movie is that a crew of guys who remove asbestos are asked to do two weeks worth of work in one and remove the asbestos from the old  abandoned insane asylum. Then a lot of crazy creepy shenanigans ensue thanks to the old place coming to life after Mike (played by Stephen Gevedon) discovers some old tapes.

It's your typical run of the mill abandoned insane asylum with a bad past horror movie.

One of the first things that stuck out was the actor who plays Jeff (Brendan Sexton III) rocks an amazing mullet. But that is neither here nor there...

The cinematography in this film is absolutely brilliant thanks to it's wonderful filming location. This movie was filmed on location in Danvers, Mass., using the old Danvers State Hospital . If you would like to learn more about the location and to see some really awesome pictures, click here or here.

There is a pretty interesting plot twist at the end of the movie, which is fairly typical these kinds of movies.

IMDB gives Session 9 a 6.5 out of 10 stars. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 63% with 61% audience approval. So I would say over all this beats the snot out of I Spit on Your Grave (no pun intended). I am giving this film a 3 out of 5 skulls. Pretty great, but it could have gone a bit farther.

Until tomorrow.
Sleep tight and don't let the zombies bite!

-JD



1 comment:

  1. I liked this one as well when I saw it, but felt it could have been a great movie and was just missing the mark. It was fairly thought provoking and it kept me entertained but it just could have done better. The location though--Awesome!

    ReplyDelete