Monday, October 7, 2013

Unhappy Campers

Good evening.

I figured since it is Monday that would make most of us an unhappy camper, and what movie goes great with that? Why Sleepaway Camp 2: Unhappy Campers of course!


Again, Netflix fails to provide the first movie, forcing me to watch the sequel and play catch up since I have not seen the first movie. I remember living in a small town and going to the local movie rental store and seeing this movie on the shelf. Never picked it up, then again I was about 13 years old...so I watched Jason X, one of my favorites. Really wish that movie was on Netflix, Jason X is one of my favorites! 

So here is the trailer:
It's like a shitty version of Friday the 13th. 

Directed by Michael A. Simpson, this gem of a movie was released in 1988 and stars Pamela Springsteen as Angela Baker.

This review from IMDB best explains the synopsis of the film, which is very helpful if you haven't seen the first movie, "Angela Baker has undergone years of therapy, electro-shock and sexual reassignment surgeries, and finally landed herself a job in the last place she should be working - camp rolling hills. She has an old fashioned approach as to how camp should be, and an old familiar deadly way of making sure that those who don't follow her rules don't get to come back next summer." Written by Dismal Angel

I will say this, the violence and death happens right away but there is not a whole lot on the gore or blood; Perhaps all the mullets will make up for it....

One of the things I love about Angela is the fact that she can be really nice and sweet, and then flip on a dime and kill someone like it was no big deal, and without going all psycho...even though she is a psycho...a transgender psycho. How freaking cool is that! Also the nod to Freddy Kruger and Jason Voorheese is very much appreciated.

Now I went to a summer camp in my youth, and I do not remember it having a pool, but I guess Camp Rolling Hills has one... even though it is totally weird.  Another really weird part of this movie is the sex scene that takes place in the bathroom. It has got to be one of the most awkward sex scenes I think I have ever witnessed in a horror movie...

Overall this movie wasn't horrible, and I know that it has quite the cult following. The biggest thing that this movie lacks is suspense.

IMDB rates Sleepaway Camp 2: Unhappy Campers 5.3 out of 10 stars. Rotten Tomatoes gives it 17% with a 43% audience approval rating. I think I am going to give it two and a half skulls. I knew that it was going to be bad going into it, so I wasn't horribly disappointed on that front. However the lack of suspense and poor plot structure are what make this movie a bit of a let down.

Until tomorrow!
Sleep tight and don't let the zombies bite!

- JD

No comments:

Post a Comment